Saturday, April 23, 2016

Unit Test and Review

I was really scared for this test because I didn't feel like I understood most of the information. The fact that we also had a shortened class period was also stressing me out. To study for the test, I mostly did the practice tests online to study for the test. I also went over the notes and used resources that I found to help me study.

The test wasn't as hard as I feared it would be, but a few of the questions were really hard. I really hope I did decent on the test because I really want to exempt the final for this semester. I found that the questions were mostly concept based and not math based. I'm kind of glad that it wasn't a lot of math because that takes me a while and I wasn't very good at the math questions on the practice quizzes.

Energy and Phase Diagrams
Energy
  • energy is released as heat or work
  • law of conservation of energy: energy is never created nor destroyed
  • Thermodynamics: the study of energy transformations
Types of Energy
  • Kinetic Energy: energy of motion
   
 
  • Potential Energy: energy stored (in the composition of a substance or energy of position)

Temperature and Heat
  • temperature: average kinetic energy
  • heat: transfer of energy
  • Points of view: system (area of focus in the universe) and the surroundings (everything else in the universe)
Endothermic vs Exothermic

Measuring Energy Changes
  • unit for measuring energy: Joules (J)
  • or calorie (little c)= amount of energy to raise temp of 1 gram of substance by 1 degree Celsius
  • 1 c = 4.184 Joules
  • make sure to watch for units
Calculating Heat
  • if mass is not given and density is given, use the density formula: d=m/v
  • density of water at 25 degrees Celsius: 1
  • 1 KJ = 1000 J
Determining Intermolecular Force:

  • London Dispersion Force: when the electromagnetic difference is small (weakest force)
  • Dipole-Dipole: large electromagnetic difference 
  • Hydrogen Bond: only occurs between Hydrogen and Flourine, Oxygen, Nitrogen or Chlorine
Phase Changes




1 comment:

  1. This is an insane amount of information in one post! Will definitely use this to study!

    ReplyDelete